lördag 29 januari 2011

How I Met Your Mother

For a while ago I started watching this american sitcom from CBS online, How I Met Your Mother. It is mainly set on Manhattan, and circulates about a group of people, one of them being Ted Mosby looking for the love of his life. It kinda has become an obsession of mine. For some weird reason I just love, love, love the show. It is probably a mixture of my love for New York City, lovable characters and great but sometimes twisted storylines.
When my mom asked me what kind of show it was, the closest thing I could come up with was "Friends" and maybe that isn't a bad comparison.

It focuses on a small group of central characters, the settings are mainly the characters' apartments and their local hang out spot (with few field trips however). Of course, this is the definition of any sitcom, but this special show is set on Manhattan. Which show am I speaking of?

HIMYM is known by almost anyone in my age. One of the characters, Barney (played by Neil Patrick Harris) is the who most stands out. And also the one character all guys want to be. He is constantly hitting on women and has one-night stands. Barney is one of the main reasons for HIMYM success. What makes him so likable (except his pure awesomeness) is his way of always making up theories about life, that might seem absurd at first but actually makes a lot of sense. Some of these are:

The Mermaid Theory: The idea that a guy will always want to sleep with a chick after some reasonable amount of time, even if he can't imagine it from the beginning. The woman starts out as a manatee, but then transforms into a mermaid.
The Cheerleader Effect: When a group of women looks attractive in a group, but studied seperately they look not better than average, sometimes even worse.
The Platinum Rule: That you should never get involved with someone who you have close contact to or see on a daily basis. Is based on eight steps: Attraction, bargaining, submission, perks, tipping point, purgatory, confrontation, fallout.
The Hot-Crazy scale: That a girl can be crazy if she is equally hot. This, I believe, also accounts for dudes.

Inga kommentarer: