måndag 3 oktober 2011

A Book Thief and A Nanny

A have read two novels parallel to each other this last week, one being The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and the other The Nanny by Melissa Nathan. These two are very different from each other, one focusing on a little German girl in Nazigermany, the other on how being a nanny in a posh suburb of London. While the chicklit was an easy read, very inside the comfort zone the Novel by Markus Zusak goes much deeper.

The Book Thief could be described as poetic, with an unusual narrator and a unusual story. This is not on how it was to be Jewish in Hitler's Germany but about the normal people, the ones going either with the flow or against the current. I won't tell you more about the book, but more about the my reaction at the end.

Even if you are told how the story will end, it always comes as a shock. It happens in The Book Thief, but for me it is often the same throughout literature and even movies. Well, I also have to add that I am very sensible when it comes to these artforms. I open up my heart to let characters in and then they are suddenly taken from me by cruel writers (get the hint JK). Also, it doesn't matter if I am already aware what's going to happen or if I read or seen it before. I cry and I cry and I cry. Every time Uncle Ben is killed after he and Peter had a fight. Every time Mufasa is betrayed by Scar and falls to his death. And of course when Snape kills Dumbledore, even though I by now know it was a necessity. It's especially easy when I'm alone and no one's there to judge. That is probably why I managed not to cry waterfalls when we saw the Deathly Hollows but only a few tears. Next time tough. Expect oceans.

To get to the point, yes I cried to the end of "The Book Thief". Most people won't though but it doesn't mean the novel won't leave a mark.

Inga kommentarer: