torsdag 29 september 2011

Bicycle Race

Today I had the courage to throw myself out into the Luang Prabang traffic. I can't really say the traffic is dangerous, but you have to get used to it. Compared to Bangkok it is probably a piece of cake. The hotel I will work for have bikes for the guests to borrowsince the town is easily discovered by bike. This is because of the flat terrain and lack of cars on the roads. But what the city lack in cars it makes up for in motorbikes and vespas. They are everywhere. And only about 20-30% wears a helmet. And out of those per cent only about half has it fastened correctly on its head. Also, some people bike with an umbrella protecting them from the sun, which I understand because it is hot but they are also in the way (and they don't go very fast either, the umbrella bikers). But as soon as you figured out the system biking in Luang Prabang is easy. And lovely.

I went down the street on the Nam khan side of the town and after a couple of minutes I realize that it is a one way street. And I am not going the same way as the others do. The Swedish blood in me tells me of course to stop and start walking on the sidewalk until I figure out where else to go, until someone passes me on a motorbike in the same wrong direction. I conclude again that the same rules in Sweden do not really apply in Asia. The day is spent riding around town, getting a little lost and finding my way again, drinking Lao Iced Tea at cafés while reading and also visiting two similar but different youth centers not far from the hotel. I have to say that I am not a big fan of the Iced Tea, but maybe its a learning process.

I also got myself a phone sim card and keys to my stepgrandad's house in which I'm staying. I feel a little more at home for every day that passes.

Inga kommentarer: