onsdag 28 september 2011

Day 2

As the café is not open yet, I am free to do whatever I like during the day. But, since I am new in Luang Prabang, I have been given the mission to get to know the town. Since the café is going to be connected to the hotel, a should be able to answer any questions the guests might ask. Things to see, places to go. Therefor I am now educating myself for the future.

After two days on the road (technically more in the air) it seems that I needed a good night sleep. I woke up at 7 am for a mysterious reason, returned to my pillow and didn’t open my eyes again until noon. Which meant I probably slept for more than 13 hours.

The hotel together with my guide book recommend several spots in Luang Prabang and my plan is to visit them all (I call it preparing). After eating lunch at the hotel, I walked down main street and paid a visit to the Scandinavian Bakery and treated myself to the classic Lao fruit shake (basically a smoothie). The money in Laos is called Kip and a fruit shake for 10000 Kip might sound expensive, until I tell you that 10000 Kip is $1.25 or about 7 SEK.

I then visited the local “supermarket”, which is a little bigger hole in the wall store than those you find in China Town. I bought what was needed, and then walked straight across the street to visit another market where is bought flip flops. I was too lazy to haggle but I can tell you I didn’t really need to anyway.

Luang Prabang is half situated on a peninsula and the city is surrounded by two rivers, the Mekong River and the Nam Khan river, the last runs into the Mekong. The hotel, Mekong River View is situated just at the edge of the peninsula, with all the rooms having a view of the Mekong. This means that you can always find the hotel, just follow either ones of the rivers and you get there. Today I walked on the Nam Khan side where many of the towns guesthouses are placed, and many of these have verandas outside to get a good view of the river.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Good to hear that you´ve arrived safely, and hope the guide book comes in handy :) /auntie