måndag 14 november 2011

Role Models

When homesick, read a book written in your language, set in your country and possible in your hometown. If they novel have been made into a film, watch the film. A couple of days ago I started to re-read Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy. His books was a huge breakthrough and success, not only in Sweden but internationally as well. I have read them before, but many years ago and since I am not the same person as I was years ago, my experience from reading the novels would be another.

There are some part of his writing that bothers me, the diction is not varied and the language cannot be described as excellent. At the same time the plot gets me on the hook and I read on, barely without stopping. Because I can.

However, his female protagonist, Lisbeth Salander is a well written character. She is the opposite of the Mary-Sue. Yes, we all knew Salander is a socially challenged and has way of thinking that's not fitted to the society. And a tendency to use violence when she feels threatened. Nevertheless, she has a moral code that I actually admire and has inspired my own opinion. In that way she is some kind of the role model. Her ethics mixed together with a chunk of Hermione Granger is probably my own personal role model, and something that I from now on will try to adopt.

Tomorrow I will go the the Elephant Village for a two day mahout experience. Will report back on Wednesday how it was.

Inga kommentarer: